Updated: Mar 8, 2022
You know that sugar is sweet and delicious, yet sneaky and destructive. You could try eliminating sugar completely from your diet. Many people do it with good results, but it’s not a move for the faint of heart. Regardless if you’re toughened for a sugar elimination, or you’re nervously considering a sugar-free lifestyle, you can’t go wrong with these ten facts to get your head in the game:
1. Sugar is a fuel source for the body and brain.
2. Sugar is produced naturally in all plants, including vegetables, fruits, and grains. Sugars are also present in dairy milk. Where we obtain our fuel from is a huge determinant of our overall health.
3. Some sugars are complex; others are simple. Complex sugars take a longer time to digest and may or may not be used as fuel. Simple sugars are easy for our body to digest and use as fuel.
4. No matter where our fuel comes from, excess fuel consumption is turned into fat for storage.
5. Sugar can help less palatable - but nutritious - foods taste good.
6. Sugars stimulate our pleasure-reward system. This means our brain receives a message that what we’re doing is good, and drives us to keep doing what we’re doing.
7. Frequent consumption of sugar can disrupt the normal function of our pleasure-reward system and lead to overconsumption.
8. Overconsumption of sugar can lead to long-term negative impacts such as elevated triglycerides, inflammation, increased blood pressure, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, insulin resistance.
9. Artificial sugars are NOT the pathway to having your soda and drinking it too. Sorry.
10. Healthier sugar sources like raw honey and pure maple syrup contain more antioxidants and minerals. They are still highly concentrated in sugar, however, and are still best consumed in small quantities.
***Are you thinking of improving your diet and know that sugar is one of your biggest vices? Fabulous Nutrition can help by providing science-based facts, effective tools, and personable support. Get to know us and how we can fix your struggle with sugar by scheduling a free coaching session (reg. $75). Just head over to our contact page and email us with the subject: Eliminate my sweet tooth! Don't wait too long though, this offer will expire 2/25/22 at 11:59 PM EST. ***
The information in this article is designed for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. This information should not be used to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting a doctor. Consult with a health care practitioner before relying on any information in this article or on this website.